Friday, April 18, 2008

I feel the earth move

Oliver woke up about 4:15 this morning, wet, and upset about being wet. We went into his room to get him out of his wet clothes, get some dry clothes and then we crawled back into bed to get him dressed when an earthquake happened. I knew immediately what was going on, Ollie looked a little surprised that the bed was shaking and I smiled at him and said “it’s an earthquake peanut, it's okay”. The house felt like something was outside shaking it a bit, the curtains rattled and the noise sounded like a really strong wind was blowing, though the whole thing lasted for no more than 45 seconds. I thought that maybe the pictures would fall off of the wall, but it ended pretty quickly and we fell back asleep. It didn’t really scare me, but I realized how scary a more intense earthquake could be. Growing up in the mid-west, I have always been aware of the fault lineunderneath us, and have experienced two other earthquakes, but they were very small, almost unnoticeable. I don’t really know what to do, other than go under a door frame, if a bigger earthquake hits so I think I should prepare us a bit better because it is certain to happen again and be more intense. The thing that seems scary about earthquakes is that they are so unpredictable; the big ones tend to happen within a window of every 300-500 years, which is pretty hard to plan for! I am very relived though that this one did not cause any serious damage or injuries, but I am sure that it did give a lot of people quite a scare!

Here is some good information about the earthquake.

2 comments:

VeganLinda said...

At the ISGS open house we learned that you should stay in the building (as a kid they said if you could get out quickly to do so) and get under a heavy object (like a table). They don't mention the doorframe anymore and they did say we were "due" for some activity. We felt two last night, but maybe it was just one long one. Did you feel the aftershock this morning? Crazy stuff.

Stef said...

I didn't feel the aftershock, we were out taking a walk downtown, I don't know how we missed it! I think it was two, according to the seismic information, but they were back to back, about 20 seconds each, so it felt like a longer one. Thanks for the info, under the dining table seems like a good spot. We are due for a lot of activity from what I understand, hopefully it is more exciting and less totally frightening!